Thursday 15 December 2016

Testing Testing, 1, 2, 3...

****Disclaimer- If you too feel this would be beneficial to you please consult your health care professionals so you can count on solid advice and help if anything does go wrong. As always, this is in no way intended to be medical advice, I am not qualified to offer anything but my own experience.****

Over the past two weeks I have conducted some what of a self-experiment and have been trying out infusion sets for when I start insulin pump therapy (IPT) in the new year. I have not been attached to a pump but simply the cannula to get into the habit of changing it every 3 days.

Can we also abolish the 'diabetes=overweight' stereotype,
it gets boring after a while, ta.
Now you may be asking 'Why you hell would you do that', have all the downsides of IPT and no advantages. Well the honest answer is because I am nervous. I want to prepare myself as much as I can for what will be a huge lifestyle change.
I would rather make mistakes with infusion sets when I don't have my lifeline plugged in at the other end.
In fact the longer I spend trialing sets the more my passion grows about this being a standard procedure.

The prospect of attachment and my reaction to the Freestyle Libre has made me cautious of any new diabetes technology I want to explore. This preliminary test is an attempt to preserve my mental health and most importantly to reassure myself that I will be able to cope with the constant attatchment. I can appriciate it seems a bit over the top, I just want to give IPT everything I've got when the time is right.

Failed infusion set - fun and games
Now I was hesitant about writing this post, because I must admit I've not had the best luck with these sets! Set one was fine as I was in the company of other PWD, set two was a painful little bugger (see photo), when I removed it after just 6 hours of discomfort I found the tube was bent. Set 3 was comfortable but it was a bleeder, and to be honest I'd rather not have my shower look like I've just committed a murder! I know I've made that out to sound comical, but when you've got no idea what is normal and what's not, it becomes pretty daunting. It was only through peer support that I was able to relax about said issues and know that it was through no fault of my own.

This was the first time I felt scared about IPT- genuine fear of the unknown. I know there's a lot I'm yet to learn, and that I will pick up lessons along the way, but for now I am making baby steps tentatively.

It was the first time I understood that my life will be down to this technology, and that's a scary but amazing prospect. As I run my hand over my top I reassure myself that one day this will feel normal. One day this odd piece of wire will feel as natural to me as the shoes upon my feet.
One day this little device, as well as an insulin pump, will be keeping me alive, and that will feel okay. For now, it's a little strange.



Thanks for reading,
Amber xx

1 comment: